The 2015 term is over. Here’s a very quick rundown of U.S. Supreme Court cases that might be of particular interest to businesses and to litigators in general:
- Dietz v. Bouldin – About district court’s ability to recall jury in a civil case, after identifying error in the verdict.
- Americold Realty Trust v. ConAgra Foods, Inc. – About diversity jurisdiction & unincorporated entities.
- Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins – About the meaning of “concrete and particularized” for determining the injury-in-fact needed for Article III standing.
- Campbell-Ewald Co. v. Gomez – Holding an unaccepted settlement offer or offer of judgment does not moot the plaintiff’s case.
- DIRECTV, Inc. v. Imburgia – About FAA preemption of state law regarding the enforceability of class-arbitration waivers.
- Encino Motorcars, LLC v. Navarro – About interpreting FLSA exemptions from overtime pay requirements.
- CRST Van Expedited, Inc. v. EEOC – About determining the prevailing party for awarding legal fees in Title VII actions.
- Green v. Brennan – About the limitations period for constructive-discharge claims under Title VII.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. v. Bouaphakeo – About using “representative evidence” to certify a class action for wages under the FLSA.
- Amgen Inc. v. Harris – About the fiduciary duties of those who manage ESOPs.
- Gobeille v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. – About ERISA preemption of state law requiring entities to report info to a state agency.
- Montanile v. Board of Trustees of Nat’l Elevator Indus. Health Benefit Plan – About whether a plan fiduciary can sue to attach a participant’s separate assets under sec 502(a)(3).
- Cuozzo Speed Tech. LLC v. Lee – About the PTO’s authority & inter partes review under the America Invents Act.
- Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. – About awarding legal fees under the Copyright Act’s fee-shifting provision.
- Halo Elec., Inc. v. Pulse Elec., Inc. – About increased damages under sec 284 of the Patent Act & the Federal Circuit’s Seagate test.
False Claims Act
- Univ. Health Serv. v. U.S. ex rel Escobar – About materiality and the scope of liability under the FCA.